Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Your flat kit

This has come up before, so here's my list of what to carry in your bicycle saddle kit and justification of each.


- Tubes – carry 2, and make sure they have the required stem length or extender if you’ve got deep section rims. Roll them up tight and wrap with tape or a rubber band.
- Tire levers – they’re small enough you can and should carry two.
- Boots – cut a 3 inch section of an old tire and cut off the bead. Use these to put between the tire and the tube if you get a slit or rip in the tire itself. I’ve got over 400 miles on one of these (because I forget to change it out).
- Patch kit – I use a glue-less patch kit for those just-in-case moments. I rode last weekend, punctured, and both my spare tubes were bad. This got me home (and I’ll forget to change it before tomorrow’s ride).
- Multi-tool – you’ll want one when you need it. Get a small one with a Phillips head screwdriver and at least a 4 and 5mm allen wrench.
- CO2 – I carry 2-3 CO2s. If you only carry one, Murphy’s Law says you’ll have a problem with it.
- Pump – get a Second Wind Road pump and carry it on your frame. It’s a CO2 inflator and a pump in one. Use the CO2 part when you want air fast, use the pump when you run out of CO2 and you can’t be stranded. A CO2 can be stored on it and acts as the pump handle, opening up room in your bag.
- Copies of your ID and Insurance Card or a Road ID with allergy info, a coffee shop punch card, and $20.
- Cell phone.
If you pack it right, all this will fit in a small bag under your saddle, and you’ll (almost) never be left stranded.

Brian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Especially if you have a cell phone and someone at home! hehheh!