Monday, February 28, 2011

Training Camp MVP blog Day 1

Day 1 co-MVP Doug from Kansas:

At dinner tonight the coaches surprised me by announcing that I was one of the MVP's for day one of the tri camp. While it is clearly a sympathy vote (I am ok with that!) and they needed someone to write this blog, I am honored to share the days award with Jeff and Sue.

Welcome to sunny Arizona! We were greeted this morning on our first day of tri-camp with snow covered cars and a balmy 37 degree temperature. We were summoned to the lobby to convene for a 7am start. We were told we were going to start off camp with an easy run and so we proceeded to a place called Sabino Canyon. We unloaded and Eric, one of our coaches informed us about the virtues of trail running. He explained that trail running is more productive and leads to a quicker recovery due to more up and down terrain and softer impact. What I discovered is that this all assumes the impact is not your face on a rock and the recovery does not occur in the emergency room.

Trails are different in Arizona than they are in Kansas. I was expecting dirt or hard sand trails that you could run at a nice pace. Yes, some elevation but generally even and smooth. What we were greeted with was a narrow, rock laden path that climbed over 1,000 feet into the mountains before descending down via an even worse stretch of terrain. The views were breathtaking but not as much as the elevation and the fear for your life as you worked your way up and down this challenging "trail" which coach Eric (he may have a new name soon) termed as "slightly technical". Yeah, and that Mt Everest is pretty tall.


All told the run/walk/climb/fall took me an hour and 34 minutes. The last two miles were on pavement and when I reached the hard surface I stopped and kissed the ground, thankful that I had reached familiar territory.


After the run it was back to the hotel and an 11am strength training session in the courtyard. We worked through some TRX exercises and lots of core work and stretching. It was a good workout and I have no doubt I will feel the effects in the morning. I know this because I feel them now!


At 1:30 it was off to the university of Arizona swimming pool. As we left the hotel parking lot it began to snow again. Did I mention that this is an outdoor pool? The good news is that we got a little payback on our coaches here because while they were freezing their rear ends off beside the pool we got to basque in the 85+ degree water. Unfortunately they got the last laugh because they made us basque for 2 hours. I haven't swam that much in my life but at least the water was warm!


In all seriousness it was an amazing first day. I am very impressed by the knowledge and skill level of the coaches and I am in awe of the the other campers. So much talent, so much experience and so willing to help. A terrific bunch


Well it's bedtime for Bonzo. Coach Eric says to be in the lobby at 7am to meet for another "trail run". It's supposed to be 29 degrees. Call me crazy but I can't wait!

No comments: