Monday, February 28, 2011

Training Camp co-MVP blog Day 1

Day 1 co-MVP Sue:

A fantastic, yet snowy, start of camp!

Today's Sabino Canyon run was breath taking - not just due to the challenging and increasing elevation of the trail but also thanks to the beautiful snow covered cactus, Arizona shrubs and all of the other desert plants lining the trail. Just stunning! A reminder for me what a gift running truly is.


Our run was soon followed with one hour of circuit training. Who knew you could push your body to the point of shaking with a common park bench and some TRX straps? A great intro (and workout!) for the time crunched/traveling athlete.

You would have thought the day would be done. Alas, my friends, no. The fine coaches of the Grasky camp shuttled us to University of Arizona for a 'few' laps. Under their watchful eyes we performed numerous drills - working on catch, high elbow and finish in small doses so that when we hit the main set - some 2000 yards later - we maintained focus and 'drilled' new neuropathways for future, improved swimming.

I am not too sure at how successful I was at performing the drills throughout the day but I can say that I learned plenty of new ones and some areas to focus on to help better balance my body and improve my racing. Oh, I can also say with certainty that I'm going to sleep quite well tonight!

Until our morning run...
Sue

No comments: