Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Tour of the Tucson Mountains

One of the local Tucson races is the TTM. Like most tours, the TTM is either a race, a tour, or a fitness challenge depending on your approach to it. My approach? Race. Surprise, surprise.

Equipment: Cannondale System Six, Zipp 808 rear wheel with PowerTap SL+, Zipp 404 front, Zipp Tangente tires. The goal was to make “Platinum.” This allows for a front line starting spot on all subsequent tours and, really, bragging rights. Sub-3hrs for the 72 miles to make Platinum.

Not apparent by its name, the course is mainly flat with a few shallow climbs. It circles the Tucson Mountains on the west side of Tucson from Marana, winding up and over Ajo Way made famous by the Tuesday Shootout ride, out to Ryan Airfield, then north up and through Saguaro National Monument before finishing in Marana again. If you choose to look at something other than the guy you’re drafting, you won’t find a route with more towering and flowering Saguaro Cactus in the world. If you are drafting, don’t look around, please.

I started in the middle after being too much a wimp to stand the cold of getting there any earlier. At the gun, the group moseyed off as I bobbed and weaved more than Rocky to get through the packs of rides and onto the lead pack. In this tour, like any other, if you’re not on the lead pack, you’re out of the race.

For the next 70 miles I sat in the lead pack, moving around here and there to avoid the occasional crash and get around those looking like they’re about to pop off the back. I made it into a good position before the Ajo climb and the turn onto Sandario, the two major breaks to split the field. Looking at my PowerTap files, I was averaging a very sustainable 180-ish watts, with sprints up above 1500+ watts when needed at the corners and accel points. (Yes, that’s approaching 2 horsepower)

Nearing the end, the speed was slowly dialing up. I decided since I’m not a sprinter, I needed a little help, so move out and up toward the front. One more right turn, then 1.5 miles before a left to the finish line. I’m sitting 3rd wheel in the pack with only 2 off the front. All’s good. Just then, a line of others come up the right side, moving me over to the left—slam!—right into a huge pothole. Good thing the Zipp wheels and tires are strong. Rounding the corner, things start to feel squishy, and soon I’m riding on the rim. The pothole had caused a puncture. 1.5 miles; my time is ok for Platinum; I sit up and decide to ride it in on the flat. Being the first real ride on the Zipp’s I’m nervous, but they did fine. No problem. Thanks for making a strong wheel, guys! The Zipp tire is even fine.

I finished 68th out of the 600 or so. Time: 2:47. Platinum. Sweet. I replaced the tube to ride to my car, and found out my spare was flat. Riding it in was a good choice!

Congrats also to GEC athletes Leo (in the main pack, Platinum) and John (3:47, finished) and TriCats Neil (3:05, Gold), Lee, and David.

No comments: