Wednesday, May 20, 2009

GEC's High Endurance Ironman Training Camp--Day 4...guest blogger Luc

Day 4: Guest Blogger Luc

Today started out as a nice day. We had a walk along the South Rim at sunrise – sunshine was unfortunately only for half of the day.
Shawn, Owen, and I headed out at a good pace from the Grand Canyon Village back towards Flagstaff. As we got closer to Flagstaff, the weather conditions gradually worsened. Up ahead, we could see a few lightning flashes over the mountains. Fortunately, it was only light rain and some wet roads, things were not so bad.

Eventually, Jill came with the van and suggested we call it a day. I really wanted to finish the ride, was in a good mood to finish and had fresh legs, so I decided to continue on alone for the remaining 30 miles of the ride. As I got closer to Flagstaff, the rain was getting much heavier, and the temperature was dropping, but it wasn’t too bad - I’ve ridden in worse before. In Germany and Switzerland, my wife and I did 10 days of rain riding in a row, so a little while in the rain didn’t bother me.

Things went fine until I got into Floodstaff, I mean Flagstaff, where riding through town was just about impossible. The heavy rains were creating rivers in the roads, and I was forced to ride on the sidewalks, and getting drenched by passing cars.

But finally I made it back to the cabins – wet and cold but having completed the full ride. We even managed a short run after the ride.

No comments: