Monday, May 18, 2009

GEC's High Endurance Ironman Training Camp--Day 2

Day two in the books.

Breakfast was followed by a 50 mile ride around Mormon Lake--rolling hills, scenic pine trees, 80 degree temps, and good company. There were two stop signs on the route, and I think 3 cars passed us all day. No kidding. Perfect. Owen was on a new bike as his broke on the trip up--he had a great attitude about it and just tweaked Bill's TT bike and rode it all day. No complaints to be on a new bike for the week. I'm just glad we had a bike for him. And on it, we had a hard time pulling him back.

One thing I noticed, was that everyone was on PowerTaps today. Nice!

We followed that with a nice swim in Lake Mary. The water as about 62 or so, so very nice with a wetsuit. My Zoot Zenith is perfect--a great wetsuit and kinda cool looking, if I do say so myself. We did sighting drills and straight swimming drills, but mostly just enjoyed the cool water after the ride. Then the people down the beach with the jet skis tried ruining the day by stealing my Zoot sandals. Those are the best sandals I've worn, so I wasn't about to let that go. I got them back. Some people. Grrr.

We had some down time as the thunderstorm rolled over, then Jill made a great pasta with Butternut squash and shrimp for dinner. After that, Bill spoke on the ebbs and flows of swim training for triathletes. Bill's a life-long swimmer and is the first out of the water wherever he goes, so he's definitely one to listen to.

Those here seem to be enjoying the weather, scenery, routes, and training. You guys not here...you're missing out.

Tomorrow: Ride 90mi to the Grand Canyon and run at sunset along the rim. Where else can you do this and call it "training?"

Brian

No comments: