Friday, March 13, 2009

Whirlwind!

Another whirlwind these last few months for Grasky Endurance, which included the ICTN Camp in January, the UA Tricats Camp in February, and the Tucson Base Training Camp and Trifest in March. Whew! Time for a break!

For the past few years, Brian and I have volunteered to help organize the International Christian Triathlon Network’s Annual Camp, which was held in Tucson this year. It’s a 3 day camp which brings in triathlete pastors along with several Christian pros, and regular ol’ triathletes looking for Christian fellowship. About half of the day is spent in small group settings learning about anything from bike maintenance to mental focus. There’s also some sort of worship service each day. Then, we train…(ok, not me since I’m STILL injured). Instead, this year I was the photographer. It’s a lot of fun and is great fellowship, and will be held again next year in Tucson. Check back in a few months for more information on our site (or ICTN’s site) about this great camp.

February brought the UA Tricats Camp up in Fountain Hills, AZ. I’d be dishonest if I said that I had anything to do with the organizing of this camp. This was all Brian and it went superb. He’s working with a pretty good group of athletes this year from the UA. The camp was situated around the Trisports.com Desert Classic Duathlon at McDowell Mountain Park. It was the first year I wasn’t able to go ride the trails all day. Instead, I went hiking to help strengthen my vastus medialus in my right leg. McDowell Mountain Park is seriously one of the most beautiful desert parks, especially in the spring. It’s so green everywhere. If you haven’t spent any time there, I highly recommend it. It’s amazing, and has a sweet mountain bike track.

The Tucson Training Camp just finished up with great success. We had 13 campers this year and their ability levels all meshed together well. We had two coaches at the camp, Brian (now a USAT Level II coach), and a coach from Connecticut, and then Bill, who is a Grasky Endurance coach and swim expert, came out for a couple of days. A HUGE thanks to Bill for his expertise! My job was to organize everything prior to the camp as well as take care of airport transport. Again, the annoying knee problem I’m dealing with prevented me from helping out with the rides this year…other than driving sag, which I usually do a great deal of anyway—luckily I really enjoy it! This year I had a helper along with me…our webmaster Brian…yes, another Brian. He was a huge help (and hilarious to hang out with) and took pictures along the way for our new website. A HUGE thanks to Brian as well. Thanks also to all of the campers who gave us feedback about the camp. It is our sincerest desire to provide a great camp, and Brian, Bill, and myself already have several ideas to make it much better for next year. More to come on that…

Lastly Tri-fest. Wow, Oley really worked hard at Trifest and did a fantastic job. Thanks to Oley and all of his work. Our Grasky Endurance booth went pretty well, but I think next year will be better. Each year we’re learning how to improve things and the booth is one of those.

Now that we have a break, Brian and I actually have Brian/Jill time scheduled for this weekend…possibly a hike in Sabino Canyon, or maybe the Titan Missile Museum. It’s nice to relax every once in a while. After 12 years of marriage sometimes we forget about “couple” time, but we’re really enjoying it this week. Again, a sincere thank you to everyone who supports Grasky Endurance. Be watching for some major changes to come about in the upcoming year with the business.

No comments: