Monday, March 2, 2009

AZ Camp Day 1

As we do each camp, a certain individual proves themselves in one way or another and stands out among the group. Today we had two standouts: Steve is a 64-year-old stud who whips up on most people 1/3 his age. Steve earned the Daily MVP Award for not only driving solo from Penticton, Canada, for the camp, but for having a great attitude and solid performance on day 1 and teaching all us youngsters a thing or two… For this, Steve won a gift certificate to Trisports.com…and the honor of the daily blog.

Brian


Day 1 Arizona Camp

The day started at 0700hrs with a nice relaxing drive up to Sabino Canyon for a the start of run. The run in spots required the skill of a mountain goat as the trial wound its way up the side of the mountain. The entire group was moving up the mountain at an impressive pace, some appearing more like gazelles than goats. Reaching the top provided an excellent view of the valley. The stay was brief and the descent was swift making the quads wonder if they had ever done any training.


After a pause for food we were off on the bike and headed for Saguaro National Park. The ride up was again a steady climb and the quality of the riders was impressive. The ride through the Park was awesome with quick downhils and corners. Unfortunately what goes down must go up and we the climbed back up to the Park entrance. A quick discussion and some opted for a second loop while the rest of us wisely decided to return to the hotel for rest and recovery before we headed off for a swim. Rick's dive off his bike was particularly impressive. Fortunately there was not any significant injury.


The swim: Great outdoor pool. Lots of cramping around the pool with some very good tips from the coaches. Wait until they get my age and try and make the suggested adjustments. Post swim was treated with some relaxing stretching and a great food.


Tomorrow brings another hot sunny day and another blogger.--steve



Well the day started off as usual venti Starbucks red eye then we headed for the phone Line to run the trail or should I say run up the side of a mountain. The first rule of camp is no whining ...oh no! I thought to myself as we started to run and I just took one peak to my left and realized that it was a pretty big drop down. I did not want to complain but I was scared and I really didn’t want to have an anxiety attack the first workout of the week so I just keep my head down and focused on the ground not what was around me but as we got into a rhythm I slowly became more relaxed and oh man how beautiful it was. Then we headed back to eat and change and off on the bikes we went for an easy ride. When I ride easy I refer to it as the tea party ride which is very easy - I'm quickly learning that everyone has their own definition of what easy is.... With that said after today’s ride thanks to Eric for letting me ride his wheel I now have a new definition of what an easy ride is and going forward there will be no cookies and tea served on my easy ride.
Thanks for a great day of training and I’m looking forward to the easy run in the am :) followed by MT LEMMON which is not easy!!!--AMM

No comments: