Wednesday, June 4, 2008

New Addition to the Blog

I am very excited to have been invited to contribute to this great organization. I have worked with many injured athletes in the past. I can honestly say that I have seldom worked with athletes like Jill and Brian who are as dedicated to understanding the opporutnities that an injury provides. Nobody wants an injury, but anytime you have athletes pushing their bodies and minds to the limits, there will be something that hurts. Its not that you won't have an injury at some point in your career, its what you do with it that will make the difference.


My background is in sports medicine. I was the Director of Sports Medicine for the University of Arizona Athletics Department. I am a certified athletic trainer (ATC) and certified in orthopedic manual therapy (COMT) from the International Academy of Orthopedic Medicine - United States. I have taught in the Sports Medicine Fellowship Program at the University of Arizona and lecture at professional meetings on the topic of diagnosis and management of injuries. I have served as a medical crew chief for a RAAM rider and have worked with hundreds of runners, cyclists and swimmers over the past 20 years. I am the owner of ProActive Physical Therapy in Tucson, AZ.


I am also a cyclist. Although I am a complete hack, I love to race and have learned enough to survive the community events available in Tucson.


Over the coming weeks and months I will be writing about some the of the common injuries that we all encounter. I will provide some insight on how to manage some of these injuries and how to be ProActive about injury prevention. Cheers!

No comments: