Friday, June 20, 2008

Breakthroughs

Another week of breakthroughs… It seems like it can be a while between improvements with the leg, but then will come a big jump. This week was that jump.

I flew solo again. Usually not a big deal as that’s the way we fly typically, but this was the first time in over a year. Everything came back and I felt very comfortable with the jet, the procedures, and the radios. Then today I had my check ride, and as of today I am again a fully-qualified F-16 pilot!

Cycling has been going well, but last weekend I tried my hand at a 40k TT. It was 100 degrees when we started and around 105 at the finish, but even through that I was able to push a big gear. I averaged over 250 watts and, although not a record, I was very happy with it for being on the bike for only a few months.

(The new Cannondale Carbon Slice was amazing as well. This bike is F-A-S-T fast! There is no flex in the bottom bracket or in the Si SL cranks. I picked up a set of Easton Attack TT bars and Fizik gel pads from Trisports.com; with my PowerTap rear nothing-fancy wheel and my Reynolds DV46 front it weighs in at under 17lbs! Next race I should have my Reynolds SDV66 with PowerTap hub and a Wheelbuilder.com disk cover. I also tried out my new Diadora Infinity Carbon tri shoes and Rudy Project Syton Supercomp helmet and Sportmasks. Ohh, very nice.)

Then last night I went to the local aquathlon. There’s a series here in Tucson that’s very fun and brings out a lot of the local triathletes and my friends. Last time, my 5k time was slower than my best overall time there… This time, three weeks later, I took over 2 minutes off the run…PER MILE!! I ran a 20:20 5k for an average of 6:35 miles. It was a complete surprise, and I felt great!

So, based on this, I have updated my racing plan. Look for me to race in the Snow Valley XTERRA in Snow Valley, CA, in August and to follow that up with the XTERRA Mountain Championships in Ogden, UT. Then, if things continue to go well, I’ll be going to Tahoe for the XTERRA USA championship in October, then the Soma Triathlon in Tempe. Ideally, I’d like to do the 70.3 distance, but I think I’ll settle for the Quarterman.

No comments: