Friday, April 18, 2008

Collegiate Nationals

Right now I’m on my way to USAT Collegiate Nationals with my University of Arizona TriCats. This is the first year I’m traveling with them, but not the first year they are going. In the past we’ve had some good finishes, with a best of 19th place. This year, we have some great athletes and can and should do much better.

The team is interesting and fun. Many different personalities. It’s fun to be a part of the team, and more fun to see many different athletes of differing backgrounds begin, further, and develop their sport life.

The cool thing is that everyone gets something different out of this sport. For some, it’s a way to lose weight. For others, it’s a source of adventure; a source of identity, or a possible path to a career. For all it’s a path to having fun, learning about yourself, and making friends that will last a lifetime.

I got into triathlon via friends in college. I was running on the cross-country team but had lost the desire and passion for it. I stopped having fun—it was time for a new game. Some friends had gotten me interested in triathlon at various times in my life, and now I had the opportunity to give it a try. I did my first race, my first national championship race, and my first world championship race as a collegiate athlete and it has developed into a lifelong passion as well as a healthy lifestyle. Now it’s my turn to give that opportunity to others.

Brian

No comments: