Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Ahh, to Run Again

I went to the PT yesterday like I do twice a week. My PT helps me more in the mental aspect of what I went, and am going through than with the physical part, and he finally had to tell me so. “Brian, your range of motion is back, your strength is getting there, what can I do for you next?” This was part rhetorical question, part kick-in-the-butt. And I appreciated it for both.

“Well, John, we need to devise a plan for getting me back to running without the threat of another stress fracture.” In Oct. I suffered a stress fracture as a result of doing too much in rehab. It was like a little game of “connect the dots” between the screw holes in my tibia.

So we did. I ran the furthest I’ve run in a year yesterday—10 minutes. And it was great. I ran nice and easy at 8 min/mile pace, so I guess the cycling I’m doing is working on my aerobic system. After 1.25 miles, I hopped off the treadmill and into John’s office, where I quickly proclaimed “John, I just ran 10 minutes and felt like I could have gone for 40!” His response: “Good, now let me see the program you write so that I can be assured that you don’t!”

Fair enough. Bottom line is I’m running a bit and it’s never felt so good.
Brian

No comments: