Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Tucson Winter Training Camp Day 4

Day 4 Tucson Tri Camp MVP’s Report
The day started off with an awesome one hour run through Saguaro National Park. The temperature was perfect and the sun was bright. Coming from Missouri this was a welcome change. We did our morning ritual of Jamba Juice and Bagels to refuel. We returned back to the hotel to get geared up for our afternoon ride. Brian had some new aero bars installed prior to us leaving, however this was no simple task. All his cabling also had to be replaced. Special thanks to Brian Grasky and the rest of the crew who worked like a Nascar pit crew to get the bike ride ready. This also required numerous trips (5) to the local bike shop for supplies. We loaded the bikes and headed to Oro Valley for the afternoon ride of 60 miles. We did 70 the day before. The ride started with steady uphill grind of about 26 miles to Oracle. The pace was steady and Gus and Eric kept us pushing. The turnaround point was a welcome sight, and the fun descent began. We ended the ride with a loop through a newly paved neighborhood with a few short, but challenging climbs. The final trek took us back to pool for some easy swimming to loosen up the legs.
Brian: The camp so far has exceeded all my expectations. I came with an open mind and ready for change, and man has that happened! My swim stroke has undergone a much needed overhaul by the Grasky/Hodska Endurance Team, so no swim is currently easy for me. But I’m excited about the change and slowly making progress. I also underwent a complete change in my bike position/set up, and already feel much more comfortable on the bike. The back pain that has always haunted me 50 miles into a bike has yet to be felt in my new position. So far, the best experience of my life. (Besides my honeymoon of course honey)
Jeff: This is my second year attending camp. I talked Brian into coming out with me this year and I think he’s having a good experience. I felt good on the bike. I brought my new road bike I got a few weeks before leaving for camp and it has taken a bit to get used to. After a few tweaks I feel great on it. It had been over 6 months since I have last ridden over 60 miles. The day prior I felt wore out, but felt good today. I am constantly learning new things. It is awesome to be training in this environment with such a great group.
After a quick shower and cleanup, we headed to El Charro for a great Mexican dinner and discussion, cervezas, and finished it off with the Frost ritual and then crashed for much needed rest for Day #4.
Tom and Huck (AKA Jeff Del Vecchio and Brian Davis)

No comments: