Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tucson Triathlon Race Report: Knocking the Rust Off

The season’s first race is always one of much anxiety and unanswered questions. What's my fitness level? How will I race after a big volume training camp? Will I have any speed? Will a disappear/reappear plantar fasciitis injury rear its ugly head? Well just as Coach Grasky predicted, the fitness was there and the speed was almost there.

Brian always has a way of spinning it. Rather than my 2nd place finish to Mike Montoya being “1st Loser,” he called it a Major Victory. I ran with a runner! Ever notice the difference the way a wide receiver runs versus a linebacker? Well, I'm a linebacker. Brian says by season's end he will make me into a runner. And after seeing what he's done with this lump of clay I've got no reason to doubt him.

On to the race:

Swim- Followed Coach Grasky's advice of using a tight streamline and glide off the wall before starting and maintaining a steady and conservative kick. Saved my legs for a strong bike and run. I was 3rd out of the water and swam a 9:51pr.

T1- Still is a challenge for me. Trying to get out of my speed suit was a bit like wrestling a monkey. I was 3rd out of T1.

Bike- I quickly passed the guy in 3rd and now had my sights on 1st place Mike Montoya. This race was a blast. We had no less than six lead changes. Neither one of us letting the other get away. According to my computer I was off the bike in 27:48.

T2- After a quick transition I was first out of T2 with Mike right on my heels.

Run- My goal at this point was to run with the runner. We ran a dead heat until the final 50 yards. Mike switched gears and ran away. I lost by 3 seconds. On the bright side, I PR'd with a 57:47. Note to self... don't let it come down to a sprint finish if you’re not a sprinter.

Next stop Ironman 70.3 California!

Leo

2 comments:

Fe-lady said...

Maybe you can look to break Les Woods' time of 55:10-45-49 age group back in the 90s.
Funny that with all the gear, bells and whistles,
the records from the 90s (not counting pro Leito) still stand.

Train on! :-)

Fe-lady said...

So- where's the Cali report? :-)