Friday, November 21, 2008

Free at Last!

For those who haven't been up on the situation, I broke, no, shattered my leg in May of 2007 in a mountain bike crash. I was racing in the NORBA National XC race in Fontana and took a spill on a corner and my foot got trapped in the pedal, resulting in my toes pointing north and my knee pointing south. Not good in my book--generally on the bad side of the "Good-Bad" scale. Through the process I found a great surgeon and physical therapist, who, along with all the kings horses and all the king's men put me back together: 5 surgeries, 23 pins and screws, 2 plates, 4 infections, a picc line, one subsequent fracture, 15 pounds, and a partridge in a pear tree later I'm in one piece and training again. Good stuff.

My surgeon took a look at the x-rays the other day and came back with good news. I'm all clear. There's some nerve damage that will most likely be permanent that will bring some pain and soreness, and the ankle is still tight, but no the pain brings no damage. No more visits to my favorite surgeon! It's a bit sad, really...going to the surgeon's office got to be somewhat like Cheers. Everyone knew me...I'm not sure that's good.

Anyway, I'm out training and will be racing full-up again in 2009. First step will be the 24hrs of Old Pueblo. See you out there!
Brian

2 comments:

Barrett- said...

Congrats! Full up in '09 is what I like to hear!

Fe-lady said...

That's quite an impressive x-ray!
Glad things are holding together (literally)!

Mike Neighbors did great at IM AZ...you coached him right? I just MAY be getting in touch with you as I am signed up for next year!