Saturday, March 22, 2008

Do as I Say, Not as I Do

As a coach, I know it’s important to take things slow when either getting back to training after a break, or when getting into shape. But sometimes we’re our own worst coach.

A few weeks ago, Jill and I went out to the 24hr of Old Pueblo race to help, cheer, and have fun. I brought my bike. I didn’t actually think I was going to use it, except maybe to get from the camper to the expo area.

I was selling t-shirts at the Crank Brothers booth and Jill came up, needing to ride. I thought “OK, she wants me to tune her bike before she goes—no worries.” Nope. Next thing I know I’m riding my first ride back since my crash. On a mountain bike. At night. On a strange course.

Fast forward to this week. I was helping out at a friend’s triathlon training camp. I was swimming with them and showing them around, and Jill and I were tour guides. They were going to go on an easy ride, so I thought “What the hey, I’ll go too.” It was a beautiful ride with great people and a good route. 70 degrees in Tucson in March. Ahhh. So two days later, I ride as well. This time it was a little longer and had a bit of a climb on it. OK, it was a 70 mile ride up Mount Lemmon to 9000’. I made it. And the 10” cookie at the top was great. (Thanks, Eric, for taking the last Butterscotch cookie.)

So, I guess you can say I’m back!

And I sure hope my surgeon is not reading this.

Here's a picture going up Mt. Lemmon.

Brian

No comments: