Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Colorado musings

I feel like I'm back home.

I'm in Colorado Springs attending an internship at the US Olympic Complex and USA Triathlon. The short stint is a fire hose from the country's top coaches, physiologists, psychologists, and biomechanists. I'm about 1/2 way through and am very impressed so far (and my brain is full).

So far I've gotten lots of hands-on run biomechanic and sports psychology instruction from Olympic coach Bobby McGee, swim coaching guidance from USAT Resident coach Mike Doane, nutrition and eating disorder info from USOC dieticians, and physiology by several of USOC's staff physiologists. To say this program is making me (and thus the entire GEC team) smarter is an understatement.

It's also cool to live on the USOC for the week. Oh, the food is great and the facilities are outstanding!

As for coming home, Jill and I met in this town on a bike ride. And where we went mountain biking together for our first date. I went to school here at the USAF Academy and rode all over these roads. This is where my triathlon and MTB racing careers stated. It's where I learned to fly. And it's where Jill and I were married. It'll always have a special place in my heart for those reasons.

No comments: