Sunday, July 19, 2009

Exploring San Diego by bike…sort of

We spent the first few days in San Diego playing (working) on Coronado and riding down the strand. Then on Sunday we moved up north to Miramar, from where we were able to ride to and up on the coast highway, through La Jolla and the Torrey Pines area. Beautiful areas and great riding!

On Tuesday after my flight, Jill and I were riding along the coast highway in Carlsbad. I’d ridden from the base while Jill had met me up the road. We were having a great ride and enjoying the perfect afternoon weather (while back home in Tucson it was 110 degrees!). All of a sudden I heard a yelp and looked over to see Jill flying sideways through the air while her bike was diving into the pavement. Not good.

**As you recall, two years ago I was in SoCal when I attempted to separate my foot form my leg. Apparently, SoCal is not the place for the Graskys to take their bikes.

It turns out that Jill’s front wheel had gotten caught in a rut between the pavement and the gutter, and as she pulled it out it over-corrected and turned hard right. The bike dove and she fell and twisted. The problem was the electrical junction box and water valve that were in line with her direction of travel. She hit them both, stopping her cold. A 911 call, 2 lifeguards, an army of paramedics, and an ambulance ride later we find she’d broken 2 ribs, lacerated her spleen and punctured her lung. Owwie.

Meanwhile I have the added worry about the several mortgage payments worth of bikes I’d just left with a lifeguard to throw in the back of his pickup, and not knowing how I was going to get them or my truck. Hmm. Back to the task at hand.
When they found the spleen damage, they decide Jill needed better care, so she got a ride in a helicopter to Scripps Trauma Center. Now I’m jealous. Sort of.

Turns out they didn’t need to operate, thankfully, but she won 3 nights in the hospital and a lot of attention with more blood draws, x-rays and CT scans than I could count. I was able to miss the rest of the week of work and stay with her there. On Friday she was able to go home, and we left San Diego on Saturday.
She’s doing better now, but is quite a bit beat up and sore. This one will take a while to heal, and she’ll be sore for weeks. The worst part will be trying to keep her off her bike until the docs allow it.

Thanks to all of you who prayed and continue to pray for her healing, comfort, and quick recovery.

Oh, and I got the bikes. Not a scratch! Wish I could say that for Jill.

Brian

3 comments:

Sandy Plentzas said...

Jill and Brian,

Oh my! Wow, what a fall you had, Jill! Phil and I will pray for speedy recovery and we're so thankful it wasn't even worse than it was.

Fe-lady said...

Send Jill my thoughts of quick healing-and I am thankful she met up with a junction box instead of a vehicle! (whew)

Brad Hendron said...

Holy crap Brian! I just read this. I'm glad Jill wasn't hurt worse and I hope she is healing well.

Brad