Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Thoughts of racing again

Today my good friend Spring called me up to go mountain biking. Spring and I used to ride and train together a bit last fall in preparation for the AZ Mountain Bike Series. Since my knee has been injured and our schedules not matching, we haven't been able to get together lately. Today she called right when I had no motivation to ride (which is pretty common these days). I was stoked, so I went!

We chatted the whole time about racing and finally the motivation started to return again. It's so difficult after taking time off. You're always feeling yucky and out of shape. I think the first month back is probably the hardest, and for me, it's mentally challenging too because I'm still having knee pain and don't even know how much I should start training.

It makes me think of how much a person's mind has to do with racing. If I go into a race somewhat fit, but am very focused and agressive and competitive, then I can pull off a good race. However, if I go into a race super fit, but have no desire to be there or I have my mind on other things, then I'll always finish poorly. Funny how the mind has so much over the physical.

I'm still not totally motivated, but that really helped, so thanks Spring!

No comments: